Thursday, February 07, 2013

Networked children: Cloudizens

I read a study a while ago that was conducted with 12-14 year old young girls, and their daily communications habits. This study group averaged 6-8 hours of "on line" time per day - between Facebook, twitter, texting, on and on.

The study itself was very interesting, but one of the little girls quotes struck me - she said: "when I don't have my phone, I am not sure who I am".

It seems to me we have already moved beyond the "digital natives" and now have a generation of "cloud citizens". or "cloudizens". Yes, I coined that term.

Cloudizens see themselves as a group of consciousness - and no longer individuals. They vet everything to their group. I have no idea what this portends, but it seems to me that this thinking is closer in thinking to the hunter / gatherer period (tight knit groups) than the agricultural and industrial age. 


"For first we use machines, then we wear machines, then we become machines."
Kim William Gordon
LinkedIn
Facebook
www.bitnus.com
www.kimwilliamgordon.com 

No comments: